State Events in Kansas City
We hope you have already registered for the 2017 ASFPM National Conference in Kansas City, MO, April 30-May 5, 2017. There are numerous special events throughout the conference that are particularly directed towards State Floodplain Managers, Hazard Mitigation Officers and their staff. In addition to the technical program and plenary sessions on key programs impacting you, they are designed to better help you do your job. We urge you to take advantage of them, all are FREE! For complete list of Concurrent Sessions and Workshops targeted at state audiences, please refer to the daily program schedule; events targeted at states are shown in the program and pocket guide with an asterisk (*). Please see on-site pocket guide for event locations.
- Sunday, April 30:
- 3:00pm and 5:00pm, Monday, 6/20 at 10:00am and 3:00pm – First Timers Orientation at the Registration Desk. A special time for newcomers to hear about the conference flow and learn how to get the most out of the week.
- 5:30pm-6:30pm - Networking Social for State Floodplain Managers & Hazard Mitigation Officers (one of each role / state), opportunity to meet each other and our officers to enhance cross-coordination! Attendance is limited to State Floodplain Managers & Hazard Mitigation Officers (location provided in the invitation email to states).
- 7:00pm-10:00pm – Annual Welcome Fest- reacquaint with past friends and make some new ones!
- Monday, May 1:
- 8:00am-Noon, FREE WORKSHOP, "State Floodplain Manager 1 on 1: Participation in the CAP-SSSE", Invitation Only - State FPMs, SHMOs & state/federal staff. Advanced registration is required.
- 8:00am-3:30pm – ASFPM National Policy Discussions, where we discuss current issues and shape our positions on national policy and priorities over the coming year.
- 8:00am-5:00pm, FREE WORKSHOP, "Social Media for Natural Disaster Response & Recovery (PER-304)", Advanced registration is required
- 4:00pm.-5:00pm – ASFPM Membership Meeting: ASFPM annual business, reports, and internal awards are presented.
- Tuesday, May 2: Concurrent Sessions, numerous sessions Tuesday-Thursday which are targeted at state audiences are shown in the program and pocket guide with an asterisk (*)
- Wednesday, May 3:
- 7:00am-8:15am, Early Bird Sessions
- 8:30am-10:00am, General Session Plenary
- 10:30am-12:00pm, State / Federal contacts Roundtable Discussion. ASFPM will invite key Federal contacts most involved with states for large group discussion / dialog / Q&A. Attendance is limited to State Floodplain Managers & Hazard Mitigation Officers, state staff, and Federal employees.
- Noon-1:30pm, Lunch with CRS. Buy a brown bag lunch from a vendor near the meetin groom and sit down with the national CRS team to discuss the program and provide feedback (Ballroom).
- 1:30pm-3:00pm, Concurrent Session Track E9: States Focus
- 3:30pm-5:00pm, Concurrent Session Track F9: States Focus
- 5:15pm-6:45pm, FEMA Town Hall Session
- Thursday, May 4: 7:00am-8:15am, Regional Meetings (Early Bird Sessions), we urge you to participate and find out what your adjacent states/regions and others are up to. Moderated by ASFPM Regional Directors.
And of course, the Exhibit Socials on Monday from 5:00-7:00pm, and Tuesday from 5:15 - 6:30pm in the Exhibit Hall.
The ASFPM Foundation hosts a silent auction Monday, May 1 starting at 5:00pm - Wednesday, May 3 at 3:30pm. Our goal is to have a donation from every state. AND YES – of course there is still time to pledge an item! Please check out the current list; then contact the Suzanne Gillingham and let her know what you're bringing. All proceeds go directly to the ASFPM Foundation to benefit FPM research and education.
See you in Kansas City!